There’s nothing better than a summertime camping trip…pitching a tent, gathering around a campfire, and enjoying time with family, friends, & s’mores! If you’re planning a camping trip, make sure to remember to make fire safety a priority. Your friends at USAFP have you covered with our list of safety tips below:
- Check if your campsite allows fires.
- If you do build a fire, select a site away from grasses/shrubs and overhanging branches.
- Surround your campfire pit with rocks to prevent it from spreading.
- Keep the fire small and manageable. Never use gasoline!
- Never leave the campfire unattended and make sure an adult is present at all times.
- Before going to bed, extinguish the fire completely with water until the coals are cool to the touch.