Restaurant Fire Safety Tips
Whether you are celebrating a birthday, anniversary, holiday, OR taking a break from cooking, all it takes is a fire sparking to set your evening adrift. Both the restaurant goer and owner will suffer the consequences. Approximately 8,240 restaurant fires occur a year resulting in an average of 2 deaths, 115 injuries, and $246 million in property damages. Below are a few things you as a civilian can do, and a few that restaurant owners can do to assure a safe restaurant experience.
What a Restaurant Goer can do:
- Call ahead to check for fire sprinkler systems
- Once at the restaurant, locate the nearest emergency exit
- Inform others in your party of the fire evacuation plan
What Restaurant Owners can do:
- Have the exhaust system and cooking equipment inspected for grease buildup
- Keep portable fire extinguishers as a backup
- Ensure emergency lights are working
- Train staff on the emergency evacuation plan
- Wire the exhaust fan to turn on automatically when cooking appliances are turned on
- Have your fire suppression system professionally installed, tested, and inspected by USAFP: 844-MYUSAFP
These tips are crucial for a safer restaurant. Need a professional opinion on how to make your restaurant safer? Visit our website, or reach out to our team at 844-MYUSAFP (698-7237) to learn more. We are more than happy to assist with your fire and life safety system planning and scheduling.